Wednesday, August 17, 2011
Feeling a little down or depressed? Are your friends or family? Here are a few steps to help you out:
- Talk about it: Even if others don’t understand, they can support you, help you, or seek help
- Get regular exercise: When done regularly, 30 minutes or more of vigorous exercise has been shown to improve the symptoms of depression
- Postpone major decisions: Depression or feeling down can alter your good judgement. It would be wise to wait!
- Watch your health: Make sure you are still eating right and getting your daily nutrition. You don’t want to let that slip by.
- Keep routine: Whatever you do-eat, workout, walk the dog, store, etc.. do it the same each day. This will help!
- Eat well: Good food can help your mood. For example, carbohydrates and foods that contain vitamin D boost levels of serotonin, a neurotransmitter associated with mood !
- Lack of sleep: Depression and a lack of sleep go hand-in-hand. Sleep problems such as insomnia are common in depression, and for many people a lack of sleep depresses mood.
“Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.” – Picasso
Each day, my focus is devoted to what truly matters.